Top Left Logo
Student Services Healthy People, Healthy Communities
Skip Navigation Links
For Health Professionals
Contact Us

Spacer Spacer Spacer Spacer
You're now on Eastern Health's Archived site
Index      Small Text Medium Text Large Text  

Placement Process

Step 1: Contact Eastern Health

Eastern Health offers student placement opportunities in both health care and non-health care professions.
Each profession has a contact and, in some cases, specific procedures and requirements to apply for a student placement. Visit our student placement opportunities page to find out how to submit a placement request. Once a placement request has been made, proceed to step 2 below. If the profession is not listed, please contact Student Services for assistance.

Step 2: Sign an Affiliation Agreement

What is an Affiliation Agreement?

An affiliation agreement outlines the roles and responsibilities between Eastern Health and the education institution. A signed affiliation agreement is required before a student placement request can be considered. This agreement addresses the risks in the relationship for both organizations, their employees, patients, clients, residents, and students. A current certificate of insurance from the education institution is also required.

How to obtain an Affiliation Agreement
Contact the student services office to find out if an education institution has a current affiliation agreement and insurance certificate with Eastern Health. If an agreement is not in place, a request from the education institution may be submitted to the student services office via email at 

This request must be submitted three to six months prior to the potential placement start date.
Once the request form is received, the student services office will send Eastern Health’s Affiliation Agreement template to the school or employer for signing. Eastern Health does not sign education institution agreements. Once an affiliation agreement is in place, please proceed to step 3.
Students seeking their own placement (not affiliated with a school)
In some cases, students not affiliated with an educational institution may seek a placement at Eastern Health (e.g. dietetic interns, professionals seeking re-entry to practice). These students are required to follow the student placement process as outlined in steps 1-3, including signing an affiliation agreement.

Additionally, the student is required to provide proof of general and professional liability insurance coverage and follow any requirements as outlined by their respective professional regulatory organization.

A request for this agreement should be submitted to the student services office three to six months prior to the placement start date.   

Step 3: Complete Pre-Placement Requirements

Once an affiliation agreement is signed and it is determined that Eastern Health can accommodate the placement request, a series of pre-placement requirements must be completed before the student can begin their placement. A placement can be denied if the student does not meet these requirements. Confirmation of completion of these requirements should be placed on the student's file.


Completing a placement in a health care environment places students at risk of exposure to communicable diseases. If a student carries or contracts a communicable disease from a patient, they can spread that disease throughout their placement site. This poses a risk to our patients and visitors who would contract and further spread the disease. If a student is vaccinated, they are less likely to contract the diseases they may come into contact with.

Students seeking a placement within Eastern Health are required to have a Pre-Placement Health Screening Form (PDF) completed by a health care provider. Completion of this form provides evidence that the student’s immune status meets the Canadian Immunization Guidelines, which includes immunization against:

  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox)
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (DT or DTP)
  • Tuberculosis (TB)
  • Hepatitis B (in some disciplines)
  • Annual Influenza (recommended)

Health care providers can find assessment and follow up information on the communicable disease requirements outlined in the form by visiting the Department of Health and Community Services Guidelines for the Pre-Placement Communicable Disease Screening of Healthcare Workers.

Students who are residents of Newfoundland and Labrador can obtain copies of their immunization record by contacting the public health office where they would have originally obtained their vaccinations.

Background Checks
All individuals who apply for a student placement at Eastern Health are required to provide a satisfactory certificate of conduct (e.g. criminal record check) issued within the last six months prior to their placement. Students seeking a placement that is considered in a position of trust will be required to also obtain a vulnerable sector check. The Eastern Health placement supervisor can advise if and when this is required. Questions regarding unsatisfactory background checks should be directed to the student services office.

Eastern Health will accept background checks from the below sources:


Privacy and Confidentiality
Students have a great privilege and responsibility in working with members of the public to promote, restore and support health. As part of this responsibility, students have access to sensitive health care information and documentation.  In support of the Newfoundland and Labrador Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) and Eastern Health’s Privacy and Confidentiality policy (ADM-030), all health care workers, including students, are required to:
  • Complete on-line PHIA education. This education is intended for all who are in direct contact with personal health information and those who are not. A certificate of completion will be issued upon completion of the online module. This certificate should be placed on the student's file.
  • Read Eastern Health’s Privacy and Confidentiality Policy and sign Eastern Health’s Privacy and Confidentiality Oath or Affirmation. The oath or affirmation should be completed prior to the student’s placement and should be witnessed by a commissioner for oaths or notary public. There will be an opportunity to complete this during Eastern Health’s orientation. The oath or affirmation should be placed on the student's file.


Mask Fit Testing

Personal protective equipment such as gloves, gowns, masks, face shield/goggles and face masks maybe used to protect health care and service providers from exposure to patients’ bodily fluids, airborne pathogens and chemicals found in health care settings. Students completing a placement with Eastern Health that may come into contact with patients/residents/clients known or presumed to be capable of spreading infectious agents by airborne route of transmission (e.g. TB, measles, chickenpox, etc.) will be required to be fit tested for an N95 mask.
The Eastern Health placement supervisor should advise the student or educational institution in advance of the placement that a valid N95 respirator certification is required when: the student that has the potential to come in contact with patients on airborne isolation, are handling hazardous medications, and/or may come in contact with any other potential hazardous airborne contaminant. N95 respirator fit testing should be facilitated by the student's educational institution prior to placement. Eastern Health will provide N95 masks to students for use during their placements.
If the placement supervisor is unsure whether a N95 respirator is required, please contact the Workplace Safety Division for further clarification. 


Workers Compensation

Students attending a Newfoundland and Labrador Government funded post-secondary institutions (i.e. Memorial University or Collage of the North Atlantic) and attending a placement which is required as part of their course of study are considered workers of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and, as such, are covered by the Governments Workers Compensation Policy.

Students attending private schools in Newfoundland and Labrador, or registered in institutions in other Canadian provinces or countries outside of Newfoundland and Labrador, should check with their home school, province or country workers compensation division to determine if they have coverage. 



Updated Jun 29, 2018